In 2018, it feels like baking soda is all over Pinterest! Many brands are advertising products with baking soda added; with good reason too!
Baking soda is an all natural, inexpensive, and easily accessible product. We love baking soda for all it's beauty uses and nontoxic qualities but there is so much more baking soda can do! Here are some fun facts and a little history about baking soda.
Photo: Hans Pixabay.com
*** Disclosure: The statements below have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to diagnose, treat cure or prevent any sickness or disease. Please reach out to a medical professional for any medical advice.***
- Canadians use up to 4,800,000 kilograms (9,600,000 Ibs) of Arm and Hammer® baking soda every year! That's crazy!
- The scientific name for baking soda is sodium of bicarbonate and baking soda also goes by the term bicarbonate of soda.
- December 30th is National Bicarbonate of Soda day!
- Baking soda has 100s of uses! Baking soda use ranges from cooking, cleaning, science experiments, beauty treatments, and so much more!
- Baking soda is great for cooking because it is naturally alkaline and when mixed with acidic things like lemon juice or vinegar it becomes perfect for rising doughs. Making things like cakes and baked goods that much more delicious!
- Baking soda can actually be used to relieve symptoms of heartburn and stomach ache, when taken orally.
- Arm and Hammer® was the sole sponsor of the very first Earth Day in 1970. This is right when baking soda began to get attention for being an all natural cleaner! The hippie, Woodstock loving mama’s led the way!
- An all-purpose natural cleaner can easily be made with baking soda. Fill a glass spray bottle halfway with vinegar, add about half a tablespoon of baking soda and fill the rest with water. This all-purpose cleaner will make cleaning a breeze!
- Vinegar and baking soda are also perfect science experiments with little ones by making things like volcanos!
- In 3500 BC, Ancient Egyptians used natron (a substance primarily made from sodium carbonate) to not only to clean but also to... make mummies! Talk about spooky!
- Looking to naturally deodorize your house? Sprinkle baking soda all over your carpet and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes. Vacuum up and your carpet and home will feel fresh and clean.
- Baking soda is great at whiting teeth! Often, it is already added in many toothpastes you can also use baking soda as a whitening treatment.
The list of uses for baking soda goes on and on! We encourage you to try some of these uses and see how much money you can save and how much simpler life is when you can buy one product and use it for 100s of purposes! What will you use baking soda for first? Comment below!