Olive oil is a key ingredient in many of our Kiss Naturals products!
Olive oil is a carrier oil, meaning that it dilutes any absolutes and essential oils used in products before they are applied to the skin. Today, we wanted to share fun facts and the history about olive oil, keep reading!
Photo credit: Steve Buissinne pixabay.com Steve Buissi
** Disclosure: The statements below have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease or sickness. Please reach out to your medical professional for any medical advice.***
- All olives start out green, but as they ripen they turn dark purple or black. Interesting!
- Olive trees can easily outlive humans! A healthy olive tree can live between 300 and 600 years.
- The oldest known olive tree is found in Istria, which is a peninsula in Europe. The tree is over 1,600 years old, and, amazingly, it still produces olives. That’s an old mama!
- Did you know that there are over 1,000 different varieties of olives that are used to create oil?! The most popular olives are from Istria, which as we just learned is where the oldest olive tree lives!
- 2.25 million tons of olive oil is consumed worldwide every year. Whoa, that is a lot of garlic bread and olive oil!
- Olive oil has been proven to protect against heart disease! Isn’t that amazing? Olive oil does this by lowering inflammation, protecting LDL cholesterol from oxidation, improving the function on the lining of blood vessels,and may even reduce blood clotting!
- Aside from cooking, olive oil is used in many beauty products, as a makeup brush cleaner and as massage oil. It can also be used to to shine shoes, as an ingredient in scented candles, and even to silence squeaky doors.
- Olive oil is made differently depending on where it is being made! Sometimes the olives are squeezed or pressed to make oil and other times the olives are spun in a centrifuge, which is a cylindrical machine that rotates really fast.
- Perhaps you’ve heard the term “extra virgin olive oil”, but what exactly does this mean? It is less acidic and has no chemical additives, making it the highest-quality olive oil available for purchase.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains many beneficial antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin K and vitamin A!
- One study done in mice shows that olive oil helps break down the beta amyloid plaques in brain cells that are associated with alzheimer's disease meaning that olive oil can help fight alzheimer's! That is seriously so astonishing!
- 99% of the olive oil produced in the United States is made in California. Way to go California!
- Do you enjoy baking? Baked goods have a longer shelf life when they are made with olive oil instead of butter.
- Crops from olive trees can vary in size each year. If one year an olive tree produces large olives the next year the harvest will produce smaller olive crops.
What was one fact about olive oil that really surprised you? Let us know in the comments below! If you would like to read fun facts about other natural ingredients be sure to check out the rest of our blog! We also share DIY tutorials, videos and natural beauty DIY kits!