Water, the basis of all life.
Water is not only crucial for humans but for all the animals and the living world around us. Today’s article is all about the special formula of H20. So get ready, because a wave on knowledge is ahead!
Photo credit: Rony Michaud pixabay.com
*** Disclosure: The statements below have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any sickness or disease. Please reach out to medical professionals for any medical advice.***
- Water covers around 70% of Earth’s surface just like the human brain! How interesting!
- In the US, the first water pipes were made out of wood, whereas nowadays they are mostly made from metal like copper.
- As a human, you can live roughly a month without food, but only a week without water!
- Just by exhaling we lose slightly more than a glass of water from our bodies, every single day!
- When frozen, water expands when it freezes. Neat!
- Both, a jellyfish and a cucumber are 95% water. I would have never guessed that!
- The Mpemba effect is when hot water actually freezes faster than cold water.
- Brazil contains the most amount of freshwater, after that it’s Russia, United States, Canada and China.
- To produce 1 pound of beef for consumption requires 1,799 gallons of water.
- To grow 1 apple for consumption only requires 18 gallons of water.
- A fetus is made up of roughly 95% water, whereas an adult body is roughly 60-70% water. This is because the human body is comprised mostly of water, but the amount of water in a human body changes as we age.
- The chemical formula of water is called H2O. The H2 means that there are 2 hydrogen atoms in water, and the O means that there is 1 oxygen atom in water.
- When it comes down to it, only 1% of the world’s water is available for drinking! The rest is salt water!
- In a child's first 6 months of life they consume 7 times as much water per pound than the average adult. Growing bodies need fuel and hydration!
- The observance day was founded by the UN is on March 22nd and is known as World Water Day! The observation day was created to advocate for sustainable use and management of our earth's freshwater resources.
- NASA discovered water on the moon and it is in the form of ice! Maybe, someday in the future we’ll be able to just hop on a spaceship to go see the ice on the moon!
- Newborn babies are born with 78% of their body containing water. Astonishing!
- Due to leaks in the NYC water supply system, 36 MILLION gallons of water is wasted daily!
Water is pretty captivating isn't it? What is one thing about water you had no idea about? Do you think by the next World Water Day you’ll have reduced your water consumption? Tell us in the comment section below.