Video Tutorial Below!
Are you looking for ways to reduce your eco footprint?
Today, we're going to turn your old Kiss Naturals box into a beautiful and functional paper basket.
Let’s do this!
Here’s what you'll need:
- An empty Kiss Naturals box
- A box cutter or pair of scissors
- A ruler
- Hot glue (adult supervision is a must)
- Ribbon (mix and match patterns and colours and reuse ribbon from a previous project, if you can)
- Pen or pencil
- Paint (choose your favorite colours!)
- Paint Brushes (a few different sizes)
- Optional: feathers, sequins, glitter, markers
What to do:
- Enjoy your Kiss Naturals craft & be sure to save the box!
- Carefully cut the box open at the seams so it opens completely flat.
- Cut off the back side of your box (this should leave you a square shape to work with).
- On the left side of your box, using your ruler and pen, measure 2 inches down from the top and mark the position.
- Repeat this step, this time measuring 2 inches up from the bottom of the square. Mark the position.
- Draw a line straight down, connecting the two marks.
- Now, using the tip of your scissors, score the line just you drew. This will make folding the edges of your box upward easier.
- Rotating your box 90 degree, repeat steps 4-7 until you've marked your box on all sides.
- Mark 4 “X’s” on all four corners of your box and cut out these squares.You’re doing great so far!
- Next, on each flap cut three small, evenly spaced slits.
- Now that you’ve got the base for your box, let’s get weaving!
- Starting with your ribbon, attach one end with a drop of hot glue and weave it in and out of each slit, all the way around the box, pulling the ribbon tightly. After you’ve gone around once, hot glue the end of ribbon firmly in place and trim the excess ribbon. Repeat this process, moving up the box, and feel free to switch out the colours and size of your ribbon.
Remember to glue the ends together each time before weaving your next round.
13. Next, to cover up the words on your new woven box, you can paint each square however you would like. Maybe add some feathers or glitter for extra sparkle!
14. To create a nice, finished edge around the top of the box, glue a piece of ribbon around the top, leaving at least 1/2 inch extra at the top.
Once you've glued your ends together, line the very top of the inside of your box with a thin line of glue, an inch at a time. Fold the extra ribbon over the top and press it firmly down on the inside of the box.
Now you’ve created a beautiful upcycled box! You can organize your jewelry, toys, nail polish, school supplies, and much more!
Once you’re done with your DIY, tag us on Instagram @KissNaturals so we can see your masterpiece and be sure to use our hashtag #knupcycles!